Monday, January 11, 2010

Heaping Failure Upon Failure

I really am doing very badly at this dieting thing.

I've started religiously putting my food into the WeightWatchers points tracker, and am being reminded (as I was last time I did it) of how monsterous it is that boring stuff can cost so many points (aka calories). For dinner tonight, in lieu of the out-of-date tortellini that I had planned to give us - Monday night has to be a fast dinner because the girls have a dance class that ends late - I ended up serving gnocchi and alfredo sauce. How bland can you get? A small plate, nay, a teeny tiny plate, of this stuff cost me EIGHT points. Oh come on. A chocolate croissant comes out at six.

So I am reminded that I need to (1) stick to tomato based sauces, (2) cut down on cheese (a mere 2oz, which is barely enough to dress two crispbread, comes out at six points), (3) drink more tea.

Today I had a meeting in a coffee shop, so I did drink a nonfat, decaf latte - which the local Starbucks guys refer to as a "What's the Point". Truly.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced by these 'points' - what do they mean? Take cheese: St Agur (of which we are both inordinately fond) has 363 calories per 100g. Here it comes in packets of 150g. So eating 2/3 of the packet in one go (which is - or at least should be - beyond even me) with for example a plate of leaves/tomato (which are zero rated as far as I'm concerned) is a perfectly respectable, pretty low-calorie lunch. OK, if you add bread it starts to get high, but there aren't many cal in water biscuits, and, as I say, 100g of St Agur is about 50g too much anyway.

    So down with points, say I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The points thing asks you to weigh the total calories per serving with the fat content in grams and the fibre content in grams. So, for example, one cup of Harry's Cheddar Broccoli Soup (240 cal, 14g fat, 1g fibre) comes out at 6 points. A Dannon Light & Fit Strawberry Yoghurt - which I buy for Deep Thought as it is low carb (1 item equals 80 cals, 0g fat, 0g fibre) - comes out at 2 points. Three squares of plain chocolate (71%) comes out at 3. I think I'd rather eat the chocolate than the yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I meant to say that leaves and tomatoes are zero rated, unless you eat an absolute bucket of them.

    ReplyDelete