Thursday, January 13, 2011

Layang Layang, Eating Eating

Today has been troublesome. First of all, smallest daughter is running a bake sale at school tomorrow, in support of Pennies for Peace; which meant that I had to spend the whole day baking fairy cakes and cookies. In the afternoon, Little Starlet brought her three co-conspirators home, and they continued the process by making gallons of lemonade (they squeezed 126 lemons), making another set of cookies, and icing the cakes. The house smelt delectable, but I didn't eat any of them.

It was just as well, really, because at lunchtime I went out with five friends to a Malaysian restaurant in Saratoga/San Jose borders called Layang Layang. It wasn't a very beautiful place, but the food was decent enough - a kind of cross between Thai and Indian, fairy spicey but with a curry overtone. We ordered far, far too much and ate far, far too much of it. I ordered three items: Mouse Tail Noodles (just for the name!), Sarang Mango Chicken (which turned out to have a punch, though billed as not spicey), and vegetarian steamed spring rolls. We ate family style. I brought home two boxes of noodles for Hubby to eat for lunch tomorrow. You can tell how naughty we were, lunch took two hours.

We completed the meal with two desserts, a deep fried ice cream with fried bananas, which was just okay; and a sticky rice with coconut milk and something that could in all honesty have been blackberry jam. It wasn't, I think, but we didn't really go for it.

I didn't have too much meat, and I eschewed the fried foods, but I imagine I ate every point available and for most of the rest of the week! This evening Hubby and I were out at a nonprofit event - a panel discussion on new media and high school education - which provided a finger buffet. We managed to eat just small plates of nothing very much. Virtue seemed obligatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment