Sunday, February 7, 2010

Up and Down

I was doing all right yesterday: usual breakfast, soup for lunch, bowl of capiletti (420 cals) (don't think that's how you spell them - fresh pasta stuffed with wild mushrooks) with 5g of butter and black pepper for supper. Well, it was ok if you discount the relatively large number of crisps I munched (though I did weigh them AND there are still some left in the bag tonight, which is a big improvement on the general state of affaits). And the chocolate cake that I was forced to eat when I went to collect Notsosmall from a birthday party.

But my virtue level feels pretty high compared to David who went on a corporate jolly to Twickenham to watch the England-Wales rugby match (yes, can you imagine!) and was wined and dined and generally schmoozed in a calorific way.

Today was possibly less good: I finished off the pasta at lunchtime with a small quantity of hot smoked salmon and a tablespoon of cream. I had a chelsea bun mid-afternoon (remember not to buy any more of those - made fatal error of shopping when hungry yesterday) and dinner was cheese pudding which is marvellous and entirely evil. Do you know this substance? It is for using up stale bread.

Cut up all stale bread in the house. Beat up three eggs and enough milk to cover the bread. Stir it up and leave it to soak overnight (adding more milk if it dries out without the bread going squishy). Grate in lots of cheese, season with salt and black pepper. Tip into a buttered dish and bake in oven about 40 mins. It puffs up like a souffle and is delicious with tomato ketchup! Number of calories? About ten million.

Penitential lettuce eating for me tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I think it's "cappelleti". Apparently it's also a Bridge move...

    What madness possessed you to eat a dish made of (1) bread (2) cheese (3) eggs (4) butter (5) milk? Oh yes, you wanted to. Know that feeling :-( It's called lack of willpower. I know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, lack of willpower, a large quantity of stale bread and the power of my mum's suggestion for what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete