Monday, February 22, 2010

A New Healthy Initiative?

Inspired by the pink book, I'm going to try to eat more healthily. Two attempts today.

The first was during this morning's visit to Starbucks, which was brought on by needing to get out of the dust and chaos that is my home at the moment. I carefully ordered a nonfat, decaf latte (yes to calcium, no to fat) and accompanied it by an interestingly horrible granola bar which cost $3.95, claimed to be a "raw food" and was made mostly of millet. As I pointed out to my kids, this is what budgies eat, and they look pretty fit.

Second attempt at health was eating part of a vegan, wholewheat with sunflower seeds bread stick at lunch. Though that sounds like another bad idea, it is actually rather tasty. I like the brown breads which have nuts or seeds in them. I paired it with chicken liver pate, though, so that probably negated all the virtuousness of the experience.

It was a red letter day for another reason: We cooked dinner in our newly remodelled kitchen. It was, admittedly, only pasta with a jar of sauce and some sauteed chicken breast, but It Was Not Restaurant Food. The kitchen isn't 100% ready, but the appliances and main sink are operational, hence the cooking. I was also able to do the washing up in the sink and not the bathtub, which was like heaven.

Hope you're surviving the run up to your exams, OEM. Not sure I'm looking forward to this week's weigh-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment