Thursday, July 1, 2010

Domestic Goddess

I've decided not to keep blogging about how badly I'm doing. Instead, let me tell you about dinner last night, which was a triumph of home produce (and surprisingly for this house included both a main course and a dessert - I felt almost like a proper 1950s housewife!).

I've been growing courgettes in a large tub by the back door; we went to Devon at the weekend to see Mum who has been ill and acquire their enormous 4x4 (that's another story), and came home to find one courgette had turned into a marrow. So I stuffed it with some mince that I had made previously and put in the freezer and poured over a pot of Waitrose Four Cheese Sauce, and baked it in the oven. It was delicious.

Then I brought out the summer pudding, made with the excess of strawberries and raspberries that this unusually sunny summer has brought on in the garden. I've never made one before, and it was surprisingly triumphant. Also easy - line pudding basin with slices of bread, bring fruit up to boil with some sugar, pour into bread lining, cut another piece of bread to make a lid, stick a saucer on the top and leave it in the fridge overnight. It even turned out without collapsing into a purple mess.

I can recommend these things. Oh, and I swam 30 lengths of the pool this morning - a personal best!

Happy summer.

1 comment:

  1. I've never made a summer pudding either. Maybe I'll try it at the weekend; we have people coming over and the berries are in full flight here too.

    ReplyDelete